Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 2 - 2 1/2 hrs
Serves: 6 people
*Modify for Low Fodmap:
- Replace onion & garlic with green leek leaves, spring onion, chives or infused olive oil (for flavour)
- Swap black beans for canned butter beans or chick peas - Low Fodmap up to 1/4 cup
You will need
- 1/5 kg Pure Black Chuck Steak - cut into 5cm chunks, room temp
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion - finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves - finely diced
- 2 tbsp spice mix seasoning
- 2 tbsp Ardmona Thick & Rich Tomato Sauce
- 800ml of Beef Stock
- 1 can black beans drained
- 6 medium corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup of Liddells' Lactose Free Cheese - grated
- 2 tbsp Liddells' Sour Cream
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 handful of coriander -roughly chopped
SMOKY CHIPOTLE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 400g Ardmona Thick & Rich Tomato Sauce
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo - chopped (more if you like it hot)
- 2 tbsp smoky paprika
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tbsp dired oregano
- 1 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
Season the chunks of beef with salt, pepper and oil. In a large, heavy based pot or fry pan on a medium to high heat, sear the beef pieces to brown on all sides. You may need to do this in batches so you don’t crowd the pan. When all sides are browned well, remove from heat and set aside on a plate.
Whilst the meat is browning make the spice mix by combining all the dry spice mix ingredients in bowl or jar. In the same pan over medium heat add 60ml extra virgin oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes before adding 2 tablespoons of the spice mix seasoning. Cook for another minute or two to toast the spices.
Return the meat back to the pan and toss to coat. Add the tomato paste and toss again. Add the stock and bring back to a simmer. Season well, then cover and simmer gently for 2 – 2 ½ hours until the meat falls apart with a fork. Once the beef is cooked, turn the heat to low and shred the beef with two forks. Then add the black beans and fold through to heat. Check for seasoning.
Preheat oven to 180C. To make the sauce combine the can of rich and thick tomato sauce, maple syrup, smoky paprika and chopped chipotle in a bowl. In a baking dish sized just big enough to fit 6 burritos, spread half the sauce on the bottom.
Lay each tortilla on a board, spoon meat in the middle of each one. Roll the burrito, keeping the ends open. Lay each rolled burrito on the sauce, seam down, fitting snugly into the baking dish. (It can be frozen as in at this stage)
Spoon some of the remaining sauce down the middle leaving the ends open to the heat to crisp. Sprinkle the grated Liddell’s cheese over the top and cook in the oven for 10- 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges crispy. Garnish with sliced avocado, sour cream and coriander, serve with a zesty side salad and serve immediately.
Keep the left over spice mix in an airtight jar to use again.