Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serving: 4 people
You will need
- 1 litre of Liddell's Lactose-Free UHT Full Cream Milk
- 250ml Liddell's Lactose-Free UHT Lite Cream
- Lemon (juice only)
- 500g of chicken tenderloins & drumettes
- 1 tbsp Spiral Foods Organic Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 cup of gluten-free plain flour
- 1 tbsp Spiral Sunflower Oil
- 3 long red chillies (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 3 cm piece of ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp of Spiral Foods Brown Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Spiral Tamari
To prepare buttermilk, combine milk, cream and lemon juice in a jug and whisk to combine. The milk will begin to thicken and coagulate. This will begin to happen instantly but you can leave on the bench for an hour or 2 to sour.
To prepare chicken, take 2 cups of buttermilk and whisk in mustard and half the salt. Add chicken and toss to combine. If you have the time, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour but preferably overnight.
Preheat a deep fryer to 200°C. Combine flour, cayenne pepper and remaining salt in a bowl. Drain chicken from marinade, dip into flour mixture and in small batches, deep fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Drain well on paper towel and season with pepper and salt.
For spicy red sauce, heat a small frying pan over a high heat. Add a dash of sunflower oil, chilli, ginger and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add capsicums, rice vinegar and tamari and pulse until combined but not smooth. You want a nice slightly chunky sauce.For salad, place all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Serve buttermilk chicken with a tossed salad and spicy sauce on the side.