Prep time: 10mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serving: 12 cupcakes
*Modify for low Fodmap:
- Swap sultanas for raisins
- Reduce 40g of Pistachio Kernels to 30g OR swap for almonds
You will need:
- 1 cup White Wings Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup muscovado sugar
- 4 fresh young carrots (grated to make 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple (drained)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 90ml Canola Oil
- 1 orange (zest & juice)
- 100g Sunbeam Walnuts (chopped)
- 50g Sunbeam Sultanas
- 375g Liddell's cream cheese
- 3 tbsp pure icing sugar (sifted plus extra to serve)
- 2 tbsp oranges (juiced)
- 40g Sunbeam Pistachio Kernels (roughly chopped)
Preheat oven 175°c. Line a 12 x ½ cup capacity muffin pan with patty cases or grease with a little coconut oil and line with pieces of Multix baking paper. Sift plain flour, cinnamon, ginger, clove, salt, and sugar into a bowl.
Place carrot in a large bowl and add pineapple, eggs, oil, orange juice and zest, walnuts ad sultanas, mixing to combine. Fold through the dry ingredients ensuring not to over mix. Divide cake mix evenly amongst your prepared patty pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove and allow cooling slightly in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile prepare your cream cheese frosting, whip cream cheese, icing sugar and orange juice with a fork. Spread the icing over each cake. Decorate with pistachios and orange zest. Enjoy!!
- Make a whole cake using a loaf or round cake tin and increase cook time to 35-40 minutes.
- Dates are a delicious addition to the mixture. Pepita seeds are a great alternative to nuts. Vegetable oil can be used instead of canola. Use a 400g tin of crushed pineapple, drained, if fresh is not available.
- The recipe is also great without nuts for those with nut allergies.