Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Serving: 4-5 people
*Modify for Low Fodmap:
- Omit garlic
- Replace 1/3 olive oil with garlic infused olive oil
- Replace butter beans with lentils
You will need
- 1/2 large celeriac (300-400g) - trimmed & cut into 4 cm chunks
- Salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 240ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 brown onions - finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves - peeled and sliced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1200g (4 cans) of borlotti beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tsp. smoky paprika
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 425g can of Sirena Tuna in spring water
- 1/2 bunch flat leave parsley - finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. capers
Preheat oven or barbecue to 180C. Peel the celeriac, cut into 4cm chunks, toss in 60ml of olive oil, salt, pepper & 2 bay leaves. Roast in a baking dish for 30 mins – toss a couple of times throughout the cook.
Add 80ml oil to a wide based saucepan or high-sided fry pan over medium heat. Fry the onions & garlic until they soften and brown a little. Add ½ tsp. salt & bay leaf. Continue to sauté for a few minutes. Gently stir through the beans and smoky paprika. Add the tomato paste & white wine vinegar, stir & simmer for 1 minute. Add the roasted celeriac to the beans, then add enough stock to just cover the beans. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for about 15-20 minutes adding more stock or water if necessary.
To make the tuna salad; add 100ml of oil to a bowl, the juice of half a lemon and some pepper. Add the capers, chopped parsley and stir. Add large chunks of tuna and gently toss to coat. Take the beans off the heat and add the warm beans to a wide based open serving bowl. Lay the tuna and herbs on top of the beans to serve.
- If you can’t use celeriac you can roast 4 stalks of celery cut in 4 cm lengths.