Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serving: 4 people
You will need
- 2 x 3-3.5cm (approx. 350g each) thick cut porterhouse steak
- Freshly ground pepper
- Fresh Salt
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bunches of red radishes with green tops and tails
- 4 spring onion, green parts only
- 1 handful of watercress, picked or shiso leaves - shredded
- 1 daikon radish, peeled
- 2 tbsp. brown rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. of caster sugar
- 5 chunks goats' cheese in oil
- add your favourite fermented vegetables
Preheat the barbecue on high. Using a sharp knife cut incisions at 2cm increments in the fat of porterhouse. This will stop the steak curling when you cook and assist the fat to render well.
Oil and season the porterhouse with salt and pepper. Sear on open grill for 2&1/2 to 3 minutes each side. Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
To make the pickled radish, slice the radish in all different shapes, rounds on a mandolin, 1/4s and little ones whole and a few young leaves. Place in bowl. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. salt, ½ tsp. sugar and 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar. Gently toss and leave to pickle 5-10 minutes. If you leave too long it will soften which is fine but I am after a crisp pickle. Slice daikon lengthways on the mandolin and cut into 5 cm lengths, then julienne. Keep refreshed in cold water until ready to use. Drain before using.
To serve, Slice the meat and plate on a share plate. Scatter the extra fermented product along side (if using) I am using jalapeno sauerkraut. Add the crispy daikon over the top of the sauerkraut, followed by the radishes. Crumble over the soft creamy goats cheese. Serve immediately.