Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 270 mins
You will need:
- 80ml Cobram Estate Roasted Onion infused Olive Oil
- 1.5kg Sovereign Lamb Shoulder, bone removed
- 6 anchovies
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1 celery stick - roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot - roughly chopped
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 3 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 6 slices of Otway Pork Bacon - cut into 1cm thick pieces
- 200g Ardmona crushed tomatoes, pureed
- 250ml Fodmapped For You Chicken Stock
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 of a Nutmeg - freshly grated
- 4 rainbow shard leaves - finely shredded
- 20ml of apple cider vinegar
- 40g of pecorino - if desired
- 1 lemon
Place a large frying pan over a high heat, drizzle in approximately 20ml of oil and when hot, season the lamb with sea salt and pepper. Place, skin side down into the pan, cooking for 8-10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Flip and cook for a further 3-4 minutes before transferring to an oven dish.
Place the same frying pan back over a high heat and pour in 40 mls of oil. Add anchovies, cooking for 20-30 seconds to break up, then add asofiteda, celery, carrot and a few bay leaves. Reduce heat and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until vegetable’s are softened but haven’t taken on too much colour.
Deglaze the pan with vinegar, then add pureed crushed tomatoes and stock, mixing to combine. Bring to the boil before pouring over lamb, then sprinkle over oregano and freshly shaved nutmeg.
Cover with Multix Foil, ensuring to tightly seal and place in a preheated oven at 160C for 3-4 hours or until the meat is very soft and pulls apart easily. Break the lamb into medium sized chunks and gently stir though the sauce.
To serve, dress shard with oil and vinegar, season with sea salt and pepper and toss to combine. Arrange a small handful of rainbow shard on serving plates, dot over cooked gnocchi and spoonfuls of lamb. If desired grate over some fresh pecorino and lemon zest.