Prep time: 10mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
*Modify for low Fodmap:
- Remove apple and replace with zucchini (if desirable)
- Do not make the yogurt sauce
*Modify for Lactose Free:
- Replace Meredith Dairy Yogurt with Liddell's Lactose Free Yogurt
You will need:
- 500g Steggles Turkey Mince
- 1/2 cup Coles Gluten Free Bread (breadcrumbed)
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 coriander roots (cleaned and finely chopped)
- 1 drizzle of Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tbsp chilli flakes
- 400g Ardmona Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds (toasted, crushed)
- 1 Modi Apple (grated)
- 6 Always Fresh Sundried Tomatoes
- 50ml Cobram Estate Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 7 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 2 tbsp Always Fresh Capers
- 500g Meredith Dairy Sheep's Milk Yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
Place turkey mince into a bowl; add breadcrumbs, 3 egg yolks, coriander roots (clean and finely chopped) and season with sea salt and pepper. Place toasted and crushed cumin seeds into a mortar, pestle and grind to a fine powder. Add this to the mince and mix to combine. Shape into 20 balls, each approximately 30g. Place on a plate or tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes to rest & allow the flavours to develop.
For tomato sauce, place crushed tomatoes, grated apple, sun-dried tomatoes and 50ml of Cobram garlic infused oil into a bowl and mix to combine. For yogurt sauce, combine 500g of yogurt and 1 egg yolk into bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Preheat an oven to 160°C.
Heat a large Circulon frying pan over a high heat, drizzle with a little olive oil. When hot add meatballs, cook for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally or until cooked on all sides. Spoon yogurt into the base of a large roasting dish. Nestle sealed meatballs into the yogurt and dot around fresh bay leaves. Spoon over tomato sauce, leaving some meatballs exposed and some covered.
Sprinkle over capers and bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until the sauce has cooked down and meatballs are cooked through.Serve by itself or with a beautiful green salad or gluten free pasta as desired.